Monday, June 1, 2009

Sometimes we don't need maximum efficiency - just ask Albert!

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is its faithful servant.  We have a created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."  -- Albert Einstein

This quote reminds me of a recent book I read, "Breaking the Rules" by Kurt Wright.  In my interpretation of Kurt's words, the source of all problems or "stress" in life is when our life's actions are out of alignment with our intuitive purpose in life.  Given that our thoughts drive our feelings which drive our actions, and that most of our thoughts, based on what Albert observed above, are created in our rational mind, while our purpose - our sacred gift - is intuitive - is it any wonder we are so stressed as a society?  We are trained to operate outside of our true purpose!

Our rational mind is constantly bombarded with facts, from which it is unable to discern "truth" without intuitive help, which we (society) seldom engage.  Add to that the fact that the advertising industry has become very adept at leaping us from facts to thoughts to deep emotions in 30 seconds or less - well, let's just say you are REALLY a BIG DEAL if you have half a clue what your life is about and can thereby eliminate a few small problems quickly.  No kidding - you are!!  If you've actually found something, or someone, you love - congrats!  If you take time for yourself to get in touch with your intuition (yoga, meditation nature hike, dog walk, song, dance, etc.) each day - hell, each week - congrats!

That is the first step - celebrate!

Well that's nice and all, but I am still STRESSED!... If we believe what Kurt says (and I do) the stress is an opportunity to examine where our rational mind is running the show, at the expense of our SELF.

I will try to share an example from my own life whenever I share something that may seem like advice (which it is NOT as I don't believe in dispensing advice - you are the expert on you).  

Anyway, this week I have experienced some extreme physical pain (shoulder & neck) which started out mind and got progressively worse.  I am starting to see that "problems" for me often manifest themselves physically.  So I've been looking for what the pain means - where am I out of alignment with my purpose?  First of all, there is no one right answer to this questions, but I'll share one message I get from this.

My job was recently relocated and I chose not to move with it (not downsized or eliminated,  please don't let me add to any recessionary fear).  I received a nice severance and have decided that now is the time to make the leap into self-employment.  I have been a "free agent" for 4 whole weeks now and I have gotten a few projects done and I am moving slowly forward.  However, I've noticed some old messages from growing up telling me "you MUST make the most of this opportunity - YOU MUST MAXIMIZE ALWAYS!"

I got this message growing up repeatedly.  If I wanted to go play kickball, mom would say "Are you sure?  You could go to the beach..."  If I happened to have some money and wanted to buy a pair of jeans - "Are you sure?  You could get two pairs if you pick these."  Mother meant well and was simply relaying her lessons learned, but did this line of questioning honor my rational (2-for-1) mind or my intuitive (I want this) mind?  My intuitive mind rarely went unquestioned - Rational (2-for-1) - it's the American Way!

OK, so back to the story.  Though noticed that my incessant scheduling for MAXIMUM output was not bringing me the JOY I intended to gain as a "free agent," and I loosened up a bit with my Blackberry alerts, I decided then to hire an "expert" to help me define my personal brand and "find my niche" as an entrepreneur.

That's when the pain began.  A little muscle strain in the neck and shoulders the morning after I talked with said expert.  But I powered through, making the most of the holiday weekend working my butt off in the garden and such while thinking about how the EXPERT would help me solve all of my niche problems and I'd be on my way to freedom.  Then I mailed my check to the EXPERT and the little pain became BIG pain.  Th chiropractor said he could not get my muscle to "chill out."  After several bewildered days ("how did this problem happen to me?") I realized that my body was telling me I needed to "chill out."  The reason I want to be my own boss is so I can truly express my sacred gift (intuition) in the world, and live my own "big deal life."  I didn't need an EXPERT to tell that to me.

Now, I am not knocking hiring EXPERTS - there is often no reason to reinvent the wheel and their service can be invaluable.  However, in this case, my intuition knew that this was MY time to play and explore and invent - to get in touch with my intuitive self which was suppressed for years by "are you sure?" riddles.  This is a time for me to say "big deal" as the days and hours pass, trusting that the details of my dream will show up on the perfect timing.  My need to MAXIMIZE this beautiful opportunity is simply my rational mind usurping my intuition, at it has been conditioned to do.  This week I am putting my SACRED GIFT back in charge - I will let it play.  When the time is right, my rational mind can do its service.

What is one thing you can do this week to let your RATIONAL MIND play servant to your INTUITION, as was it's design?